Friday, July 2, 2010

Vitus Bering and Georg Stellar's Cape St. Elias, Prince William sound, and Seward.










Hey, hey
When we left Yakitat, and the last place we took on fuel, we found ourselves getting beat up again by the sea for the first eight hours or so of a 35 hour engine cycle! Again we deployed the stay sail under power, but this time we had to beat into the sea. (Zig-zag to quarter the waves). We thought about going into Icy bay, but by then the sea seemed to calm down. I never slept during these all night sessions even though I was not on watch, I guess I was worried about collisions with floating debris. I don't think Tom did much either. The plan all along was to do this cruise during the longest daylight hours of Alaska's summer and it worked out good. We rounded cape St. Elias with a full dress of sail then the wind died off so we fished unsuccessfully and B lined with iron sail for Hinchinbrook entrance. We went around the inside of Montigue island. We were going to head straight for Gore Pt., but the weather forcast did not look good. I'm glad I did this because we got a good look at Prince William sound. Leviathan will we return there another day. Although I intended to go to Homer we went to Seward, Ak. I now am in Seward and the crew has dispersed. It took us 19 days to get Leviathan to Alaska. I purchased 1 month of slip lease here in Seward where I am doing routine maintainence, oil change etc. At the end of July Leviathan will round the tip of Kenai peninsula to her home port of Homer, Ak. I have had the time of my life so far with this AMAZING Westsail 43. Later, with many more adventures to come! Stan

2 comments:

  1. Stan the Man!
    Look here, this is a good link to my photo set from the whole excursion:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2606186&id=10704411&l=c3e7fb412c
    You might need to copy and paste it into the address bar. That was the trip. of. a lifetime. Just now being home with the dust settling, I can really reflect on what it took and what we got.

    ~Izak "Cmdr. Data (ret.)" Elvrum

    PS Sometime it'd be cool to check out your house when you're there. Awesome acreage.

    ReplyDelete